Tuesday, January 3, 2012

a modern roman holiday: pre-departure

  
                       Hepburn and Peck on the famous Spanish steps in Rome, which i will be passing                      everyday on my way to class!

well, tomorrow i am leaving the country for my study abroad in Rome! so, naturally i did some research... and watched the classic 1953 romantic comedy, "Roman Holiday" starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. I may not be a princess [at least that's what my mom tried to tell me] and i might not have a handsome expatriate following me around, but i expect to make my stay in Rome just as thrilling and beautiful as Ms. Hepburn's [and maybe even more so!].
     these last days in the U.S. have been filled with last minute goodbye skype sessions and teary hugs from friends near home. i have almost everything packed with just a few last outfits to pick out. but to make me not seem so far away, i will be keeping everyone updated with my adventures on this blog! i really am all over the place a this point: excited, nervous, anxious... freaking out one moment and jumping for joy the next, the usual.
    during the next four months i will be living with a kind family who has agreed to take me under their roof. the mom's name is Silvia and she is a teacher at a local school. her daughter, Marta, lives with her and studies set design at the local university. they are really into art and seem great. i will move into their apartment on sunday afternoon.
    i will also be taking 5 classes while there, 2 theology, 2 italian and 1 english. all of them will hopefully take us out into the city to really get to know the eternal city, so we will not be stuck inside class rooms all day.

    i'm looking forward to sooo many things while in Rome but i think i am most pumped to just explore on my own the nocks and hidden beauty of the city. i'm also hoping to get involved with the Communion and Liberation movement based in Rome. you can find out more about CLU here: http://www.clonline.org/FirstPage.htm
   the food! the aroma! the italians! i will be there so soon! i feel so blessed to have this opportunity and i pray that all goes well! we'll have to wait and see! come and join me on this trip of a life-time!
                                                                        arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment