Sunday, April 8, 2012

Milano and Mozzarella Farm

Okay I'm going to combine two trips here.

One: the Mozzarella farm! One of my main goals while here was not only to travel to different countries but really get to know Italy the best I can. These two trips allowed me to do just that!

The school set up a trip for whoever wanted to come to a beautiful farm, about 3 hours south of Roma. I didn't really know what to expect but I was delightfully surprised! The farm that we went to was beautiful! Not only did they make their own delicious mozzarella but they also run a resort on the land that they own. The resort had a restaurant that we ate at and all the food that we were served was organic and home grown!

the buffalo!

Deacon Mario petting the baby goat.



I was so grateful to get out of the city for a day and spend time in the open air! It was SUCH a relaxing day.



Two: That next weekend, Nora and I booked everything to spend a weekend in Milan and left very Saturday morning. We got to Milan and my first impression was: "Wow! This is a real city!"haha. It is much more industrialized than Roma. We headed right to the Duomo which is in the center of the city. It was GORGEOUS! It was an amazing example of Gothic style architecture.

The Duomo of Milano

inside


After exploring, we ate lunch and discovered that we had arrived in Milano in perfect timing: it was fashion week! So we got to attend a free fashion show!




There were 4 different collections shown and this one was my favorite!

After the fashion show we had tons of fun being girlie and doing some window shopping and walking around seeing sights.

On Sunday, we made a pilgrimage to Cimitero Monumentale to see the grave of Father Luigi Giussani. Giussani is the priest who started the international Catholic movement that I am very involved in back at CUA. (learn more about Guissani and Communion and Liberation here: http://www.clonline.org/storiatext/eng/biography.htm )
I was overjoyed to be able to make a pilgrimage to his grave to pray in front of a man who has changed my life so greatly. I later found out that on Feb. 22 a request was made by the bishop of Roma for the cause of Guissani's beatification and canonization! So exciting!



And it might sound strange, but Nora and I loooved the cemetery! You can find out so much about a culture through studying it's cemeteries. The Cimitero Monumentale was filled with very passionate and personal grave stones, markers and sculptures.

mourning the loss of her beloved...so tragic!





It was such a perfect weekend! I am so blessed to have seen so much of Italy already!



No comments:

Post a Comment